Whether you’re organising your baby shower yourself, or have someone kindly taking charge for you, there are a number of things you will want to consider (or pass on to them to consider for you). Some careful planning will help make sure the day goes off without a hitch – and that it is memorable for all the right reasons.
To help you plan, we’ve put together a party-planning to-do list, broken down into time frames to make it even easier to get organised.
7-9 weeks before…
- Select a date and time
- Guest list (even if its just rough at this stage)
- Set a budget
- Select and/or book a venue
- Start thinking about a theme
4-6 weeks before…
- Decide on the theme
- Finalise gift registry (if there will be one)
- Finalise the guest list
- Send out invitations
- Order anything specific that you need that will take some time to arrive – eg the cake
- Lockdown the menu or order catering if needs be
- Start planning games (if you’re having them)
- Book (or assign a friend/family member) to be the official photographer for the day
- Ask friends/family to help out with other tasks on the day – and make sure there are some who can stick around to help with clean up/getting gifts home after the party finishes.
2-3 weeks before…
- Follow up any outstanding RSVPs
- Finalise games and party favours
- Confirm your booking with the venue or whoever’s house it will be held at
- Confirm your booking for the cake and delegate someone to pick this up on the day
- Create a run sheet for the day and send it to anyone else who will be helping you
- Finalise decorations
- Think about music, organise a play list (and whether you’ll need speakers or any equipment) or delegate someone else to look after this on the day – just make sure you tell them what sort of music you want!
1 week before…
- Shop for any food items that can be bought in advance (check out some baby shower food ideas here)
- Organise drinks
- Make sure you have enough cups, plates, cutlery, serviettes etc if the party is at a home/park
1-3 days before…
- Finalise food shopping
- If it is held at a house, organise any final cleaning to be done and start setting up the space
On the day…
- Finish setting up
- Finalise decorations
- Pick up the cake (or have someone do this for you
Tips for making the day run smoothly – and enjoying yourself!
- Stay organised along the way and hopefully any problems will arise beforehand so that when the day does arrive it can run smoothly.
- Things might come up or go wrong on the day, but don’t stress.
- If you are planning this for another mama – make sure you know her expectations well in advance and listen to what she wants.
- Baby showers don’t have to be Pinterest-worthy extravaganzas, as long as the people you/they love most are there, that’s all that matters.
- Don’t forget to send thank you cards to guests and anyone who helped out to plan/prep for the day.
- Don’t leave the mum-to-be with the clean up after (if it’s at her house) or if you are the mum-to-be either get some friends to help you or book a cleaner to come in afterwards so you can put your feet up and relax (and open all your present).