- 1-2 tbs coconut oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2-4 cloves garlic, finely crushed
- 1 kg beef or lamb mince
- 2 tbs mixed Italian hers
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 700g tomato passata in a glass bottle (not canned)
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable stock or bone broth
- ½ cup (125g) butternut pumpkin, steamed and pureed. (Do not throw away excess water)
- ½ cup (125g) sweet potato, steamed and pureed
- 2 dried apricots, sulphur-free, finely sliced
- 1 cup (25g) spinach, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Hand Blender using a food processor attachment
- In a medium to large pot, heat oil on medium heat and sauté onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add mince, then turn up the heat and brown.
- Add mixed herbs, cinnamon and salt. Keep stirring until mince is browned all the way through and no pink pieces can be seen.
- Add tomato passata and vegetable stock and simmer, covered on a low heat for 10 mins.
- Add butternut pumpkin, sweet potato and apricot, cover and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add spinach and check to make sure liquid level is not too low. If extra water is needed, add water from steamed vegetables to increase vitamin and mineral content. Simmer for 10 more mins.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and leave to cool. Serve with wholegrain or gluten-free pasta, buckwheat noodles, brown rice or quinoa.
- Serve immediately.
Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 4 months.