We all wish we could have a little insight into what our child might be like before we meet them. That’s where astrology can help! If you don’t know much about astrology, we’ll go over some of the basics before diving into specific stats about each sign.
First, what most people think of as “astrology” just barely scratches the surface of what it is. When you think of your star sign, what you’re probably thinking is actually just your sun sign, which is found by looking at the date you’re born. That’s only a tiny piece of the puzzle!
A person’s whole chart is actually composed of over 12 aspects, which you can calculate easily online if you know the birth date, time, and place. Together, these 12+ signs make a much more complete picture of who you are – or more accurately in this context, who your baby might become. If your baby has been born already, go ahead and calculate their chart for a more complete picture.
Two other signs you may have heard of besides the sun are your moon and rising signs. Traditionally, the sun sign indicates our core identity, the moon sign represents our emotions, and the rising is the energy we project to the world or how others perceive us. There are many other astrological aspects that influence who we are, but those three make up a general blueprint. That’s why a person may differ greatly from others even if they share the same basic signs.
So the sun sign doesn’t tell us a ton of detail about who our babies might end up being, but it’s still fun to think about it. At the end of the day, though it isn’t 100% certain, it can help us get a general idea of what our baby could be like.
FYI, the astrological chart begins with Aries, rather than Aquarius or Capricorn (the January signs) like we’d expect. That’s because Aries kicks off the beginning of spring (or autumn here in Australia), traditionally the first season. It may seem random to us and our calendar, but starting the year in the middle of summer probably seems just as random to ancient astrologers.
Stay with me! Just before we jump in, let’s go over some basic astrological vocab. As you’ve probably heard, each sign falls under an element: fire, earth, air, or water. These can be a general indicator of that sign’s core personality and what it has in common with other signs under that element.
Signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
Traits in common: Passionate, determined, independent
Signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
Traits in common: Dependable, authentic, level-headed
Signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
Traits in common: Intelligent, free-spirited, communicative
Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
Traits in common: Emotional, compassionate, imaginative
Within each element, there are three qualities, also called modalities. They help differentiate the signs under each element. These are Cardinal, Mutable, and Fixed.
Signs: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
Traits in common: Ambitious, restless
Signs: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces
Traits in common: Adaptive, easily distracted
Signs: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius
Traits in common: Determined, stubborn
There are no signs that are better or worse than any other one, despite what some people will tell you. Certain signs are more compatible with each other, which is why individuals may prefer some signs over others. To find out which signs you’re most and least compatible with, start paying attention to the signs of close friends, partners, and those you don’t get along with. We tend to be naturally drawn to certain signs and repelled by others depending on our individual astrological DNA.
If you are lucky enough to have time to plan your conception date, it is possible to choose your baby’s sun sign if you feel strongly about one sign or another. So without further ado, let’s go learn about your baby’s future personality and more!
Aries – March 20 – April 19
- Average Conception Dates: June 13 – July 13
- Element and Quality: Fire, Cardinal
- Ruling Planet: Mars
- Symbol: Ram
- Birthstones: Aquamarine (March), Diamond (April)
- Birth Flower: Daffodil (March), Daisy (April)
- Common Personality Traits: Adventurous, enthusiastic, independent, impatient, headstrong, argumentative
- Aries Sun Celebrities: Lady Gaga, Elton John, Reese Witherspoon
- Interesting Fact: Aries suns are the most likely to have a baby young according to statistics, with the average age being 21.
Taurus – April 20 – May 20
- Average Conception Dates: July 14 – August 13
- Element and Quality: Earth, Fixed
- Ruling Planet: Venus
- Symbol: Bull
- Birthstones: Diamond (April), Emerald (May)
- Birth Flower: Daisy (April), Lily of the Valley (May)
- Common Personality Traits: Generous, trustworthy, hardworking, selfish, possessive, dependent
- Taurus Sun Celebrities: Dwayne Johnson, Adele, Gigi Hadid
- Interesting Fact: Those with a Taurus sun are more likely than any other sign to become famous.
Gemini – May 21 – June 21
- Average Conception Dates: August 14 – September 14
- Element and Quality: Air, Mutable
- Ruling Planet: Mercury
- Symbol: The Twins
- Birthstones: Emerald (May), Pearl (June)
- Birth Flower: Lily of the Valley (May), Rose (June)
- Common Personality Traits: Charming, social, curious, deceptive, impulsive, superficial
- Gemini Sun Celebrities: Kanye West, Donald Trump, Marilyn Monroe
- Interesting Fact: People with Gemini suns have historically won the most Nobel Peace Prizes.
Cancer – June 21 – July 22
- Average Conception Dates: September 14 – October 15
- Element and Quality: Water, Cardinal
- Ruling Planet: Moon
- Symbol: Crab
- Birthstones: Pearl (June), Ruby (July)
- Birth Flower: Rose (June), Larkspur (July)
- Common Personality Traits: Protective, observant, caring, manipulative, overthinker, obsessive
- Cancer Sun Celebrities: Tom Cruise, Margot Robbie, Selena Gomez
Leo – July 23 – August 22
- Average Conception Dates: October 16 – November 15
- Element and Quality: Fire, Fixed
- Ruling Planet: Sun
- Symbol: Lion
- Birthstones: Ruby (July), Peridot (August)
- Birth Flower: Larkspur (July), Gladiolus (August)
- Common Personality Traits: Ambitious, decisive, confident, egotistical, pretentious, dramatic
- Leo Sun Celebrities: Mick Jagger, Kylie Jenner, Madonna
- Interesting Fact: Leo suns are the most likely to become professional athletes.
Virgo – August 23 – September 22
- Average Conception Dates: November 16 – December 16
- Element and Quality: Earth, Mutable
- Ruling Planet: Mercury
- Symbol: Maiden
- Birthstones: Peridot (August), Sapphire (September)
- Birth Flower: Gladiolus (August), Morning Glory (September)
- Common Personality Traits: Logical, kind, helpful, overly critical, aloof, pessimistic
- Virgo Sun Celebrities: Beyoncé, Adam Sandler, Michael Jackson
- Interesting Fact: Virgo is the most common sun sign for Australian Prime Ministers (6/31), but the least common sun sign for United States Presidents (2/45).
Libra – September 23 – October 22
- Average Conception Dates: December 17 – January 15
- Element and Quality: Air, Cardinal
- Ruling Planet: Venus
- Symbol: Scales
- Birthstones: Sapphire (September), Opal (October)
- Birth Flower: Morning Glory (September), Marigold (October)
- Common Personality Traits: Fair, fun-loving, understanding, indecisive, gullible, codependent
- Libra Sun Celebrities: Kim Kardashian, Serena Williams, Simon Cowell
- Interesting Fact: Libra suns are the most likely to become rich. About 12% of billionaires are Libras.
Scorpio – October 23 – November 21
- Average Conception Dates: January 16 – February 14
- Element and Quality: Water, Fixed
- Ruling Planets: Pluto and Mars
- Symbol: Scorpion
- Birthstones: Opal (October), Topaz (November)
- Birth Flower: Marigold (October), Chrysanthemum (November)
- Common Personality Traits: Intelligent, dedicated, intense, mysterious, competitive, suspicious
- Scorpio Sun Celebrities: Bill Gates, Leonardo DiCaprio, Katy Perry
- Interesting Fact: According to birth records, Scorpios are the most common sun sign, making up around 9.6% of the population.
Sagittarius – November 22 – December 21
- Average Conception Dates: February 15 – March 16
- Element and Quality: Fire, Mutable
- Ruling Planet: Jupiter
- Symbol: Archer
- Birthstones: Topaz (November), Turquoise (December)
- Birth Flower: Chrysanthemum (November), Holly (December)
- Common Personality Traits: Idealistic, outspoken, optimistic, forgetful, immature, tactless
- Sagittarius Sun Celebrities: Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj
- Interesting Fact: Sagittarius suns are most likely to win the lottery out of every sun sign.
Capricorn – December 22 – January 19
- Average Conception Dates: March 17 – April 14
- Element and Quality: Earth, Cardinal
- Ruling Planet: Saturn
- Symbol: Sea-Goat
- Birthstones: Turquoise (December), Garnet (January)
- Birth Flower: Holly (December), Carnation (January)
- Common Personality Traits: Sincere, practical, confident, cold, melancholic, stubborn
- Capricorn Sun Celebrities: Dolly Parton, LeBron James, Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Interesting Fact: Despite Capricorn suns being the least likely to become famous, they are the most likely to become CEOs – by a lot.
Aquarius – January 20 – February 18
- Average Conception Dates: April 15 – May 14
- Element and Quality: Air, Fixed
- Ruling Planet: Uranus
- Symbol: Water-Bearer
- Birthstones: Garnet (January), Amethyst (February)
- Birth Flower: Carnation (January), Violet (February)
- Common Personality Traits: Egalitarian, creative, unique, aloof, calculating, unpredictable
- Aquarius Sun Celebrities: Paris Hilton, Harry Styles, Cristiano Ronaldo
- Interesting Fact: The most rare sun sign is Aquarius, only making up around 6.3% of the population.
Pisces – February 19 – March 20
- Average Conception Dates: May 15 – June 13
- Element and Quality: Water, Mutable
- Ruling Planet: Neptune
- Symbol: Fish
- Birthstones: Amethyst (February), Aquamarine (March)
- Birth Flower: Violet (February), Daffodil (March)
- Common Personality Traits: Empathetic, kind, adaptable, irrational, temperamental, oblivious
- Pisces Sun Celebrities: Rihanna, Ke$ha, Justin Bieber
- Interesting Fact: Pisces are the most likely sign to wait to get pregnant; the average age for a Pisces to have a baby is 29.