Phones and laptops have made quite a few areas of our lives so much easier. From keeping in contact with your friends to working remotely, wireless technology is definitely here to stay. These benefits are amazing, but are you aware of the potential adverse health effects?
Conflicting information can leave parents feeling confused and overwhelmed. There is mounting independent scientific evidence showing possible long term health effects from exposure to wireless radiation that we can’t afford to ignore any longer. Recently, radiofrequency electromagnetic fields were classified as possibly carcinogenic to humans based on an increased risk for glioma, a malignant type of brain cancer and acoustic neuroma. Just like tobacco, asbestos and lead, the possibility of serious illness developing may not be known until years later.
Unfortunately, wireless devices such as mobile phones, tablets, DECT cordless phones and baby monitors transmit and receive microwave radiation. There is increasing evidence that microwave radiation can cause biological harm. This concerning research has prompted many countries to adopt a precautionary approach towards wireless technology.
Fortunately, there are some simple steps we can take to greatly reduce our exposure and, more importantly, our children’s exposure to microwave radiation.
Here is a list of tips that you could try implementing at home if you are concerned about wireless technology.
- Avoid using WiFi when you can and hardwire your computers. We could all use a bit more time off of technology!
- If you must use wireless then turn the router off at night. Microwave radiation interferes with melatonin production. Melatonin is an extremely important hormone which regulates sleep and protects against cancer formation.
- Keep the router away from bedrooms or any place people spend more time. Turn it off when not in use.
- Never use a laptop or tablet on your lap (especially kids).
- Turn the tablet and mobile phones on aeroplane mode and the WiFi function to ‘off’ when you are not connected to the internet.
- If children must make calls on the phone they should only use it on speakerphone or to text.
- Keep mobile phones away from the body.
- Limit the length of calls.
- Only use a phone in an area with good reception. The better the reception the less power the phone uses.
- Don’t sleep with your phone. If you need the phone for the alarm then turn it onto aeroplane mode.
- Wireless baby monitors are another source of microwave radiation. Some of the highest readings I have detected with my High-Frequency Analyser came from baby monitors. Many scientists believe they should be banned. There are some low EMF baby monitors available these days so do your research before buying.
Remember: Distance is your friend with all electromagnetic radiation. Try implementing a few of these tips into your everyday life to prioritise your long term health. In the end, technology is great but should be monitored.