It’s no secret that we love dads at Kiindred! We know that there are some parts of parenthood that are just about the mums (there’s no avoiding that) but we know that all families are different, some dads stay home (we see you legends!) and some work hard outside the home to provide financial income and stability for their family.
These days dads are getting more involved in the home and raising their kids than ever before and it’s beautiful to see. And we know that the role of fathers – and father figures – is so important in our children’s development.
In celebration of Father’s Day, this week let’s celebrate the dads, stepdads, granddads and dad-figures out there. Because anyone can be a father, but to be a dad is something truly special.
The ones who play tea parties and dress-ups, the ones who scare the monsters away and the ones who teach our kids that it’s ok to cry and be vulnerable and tell you that they love you. The ones who get in and cook dinner, who do the dishes and contribute to running the household and raising the kids.
So we know that in some families, it’s the mum who fixes blocked sinks, builds the flat packs and kills the spiders. And that not every family has a mother and a father, some have one, some have none and some have two!
But here’s a light-hearted look at just some of the many reasons we love dads.
20 reasons dads are awesome…
1. Rough play – this is something most of us females just don’t understand – which is great because while the kids jump all over dad we can go and enjoy a hot cuppa…
2. Have you ever seen a dad play tea parties? Enough said.
3. Dad jokes – yep who doesn’t love a good dad joke. The cornier – the better!
4. They’re great nap buddies – can’t find your husband? Chances are he’s fallen asleep himself whilst putting the kids down – again!
5. They’ll do whatever it takes for the kids to be safe and happy – even if that means fighting off an imaginary monster under the bed or going on a bear hunt…
6. They keep the kids occupied with their hobbies and pass on their extensive knowledge on the subject – they’re all about Youtube tutorials!
7. Dads might not love the socks, undies and ties he gets every year for birthday/fathers day/Christmas but you better believe he’s going to wear them with pride anyway.
8. They’re not afraid to play fairy princess dress ups, and gives the character his full commitment and knows all the words to all the Frozen songs
9. They learn how to do a ponytail and braid hair like a pro and takes great pride in his abilities.
10. They helped make you a parent and that’s pretty awesome in itself.
11. They put up with all your hormones and ridiculous pregnancy cravings (and so he should you’re doing the heavy lifting but still)
12. They’re happy to play cars and trucks for hours and explains how they work and what’s under the hood.
13. They take the bins out (even if you have to gently remind him a few times)
14. They build cool stuff for the kids like go-carts and cubby houses
15. They don’t sweat the small stuff (which is sometimes infuriating and but it’s also a good balance)
16. They bring a different perspective to situations, have answers that you might not and compliment what you bring to the table.
17. They teach the kids that it’s ok to be vulnerable sometimes, to cry if he needs to and to talk about his feelings.
18. They give great bear hugs – and bonus points for piggybacks and throwing the kids in air (not too high of course!)
19. They work hard (often) outside the home to contribute to the family’s overall wellbeing
20. They’re our partner in crime – when the sh*t hits the fan, the kids are crazy and the house is a mess, knowing you’ve got them next to you to laugh with, cry with and cuddle up with yourself after the kids go down is priceless.
So whether the dad in your life does all these or just a couple – don’t forget to tell him he’s doing a great job and that you appreciate him. Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!